Autumn dangers

Monthly blogs from Dog Friendly Warwickshire
Autumn dangers

Dog Friendly Warwickshire love the autumn months, the beautiful colours, the muddy welly walks and the cosy coffee and cake stops, but as dog owners we are aware that autumn comes with a few dangers.

Conkers, acorns and horse chestnuts pose a huge safety risk for our dogs.

Horse chestnut trees and conkers contain a poisonous chemical called aesculin and if ingested or chewed cause stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhoea and blockages. If your pup becomes dehydrated there is also a risk of them going into shock. Conkers are very enticing and look like a great new toy, especially for young pups, but their size and shape poses a danger as they are a choking hazard risk.

Acorns are also toxic and contain tannis, this can also cause stomach upset and in severe cases causes abdominal obstruction, kidney disease and internal damage.

Please do be aware of these dangers when walking your dogs through the autumn months. Keep a close eye on your dog and watch out for any signs or symptoms that they may be unwell and call your vet if you have any concerns.

Stay safe this autumn. Happy Walking

Share this Post: